Thursday, April 07, 2011

Green Lantern [WonderCon Snippet] - Impressions

My first impressions of the original trailer were fearful and unsure; will the bright coloured suits and very alien looking lanterns not fit well on the big screen?  Will Ryan Reynolds be able to shake off the cocky jock character and become something more?

Well I can firmly say the following footage from Wondercon definitely has quelled that fear and replaced it with excitement and wonder.

I feel this gives us more of an insight into the emotional journey that Hal has to take when adopting the power that is being a Green Lantern, from his first encounters with Abin Sur (Temuera Morrison) to discovering himself and what he needs to become.

All the cast seem to fit perfectly; Geoffrey Rush as the voice of Tomar-re and Dennis Haysbert as the voice of Kilowog.  But especially Mark Strong as the complete embodiment of the infamous Sinestro!
I was right with my first impression about everything feeling very alien, but now I feel it all coming together and fitting like fine pieces within a puzzle.  The Green Lantern’s suit that looks like it’s a living thing, adapting for each of its wearers and the immense planet of Oa.  Even the very abnormal lantern itself – they no longer make me fearful, the fan wondering if the movie will fail, instead they make me want to see what more of what this movie has to offer.

One thing that sealed the deal was the moment Hal first spoke the oath.  Starting with a small bit of nervous humour, unsure of what he was doing and finally the power taking over him.  The gradual change of his eyes sent shivers of excitement down my spine, so much so I now remember the Oath where I always forgot it before.

In Brightest Day in Blackest Night,
No evil shall escape my sight,
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power. . . Green Lantern’s light!!



During the footage we also get to see more of the evolution of Hector Hammond (Peter Sarsgaard) from fearful human to Parallax powered antagonist.  Parallax itself threatens to destroy the balance of power in the Universe.  

Music always plays a massive role in the trailers I watch, some work for, some against.
  The orchestral score in this footage feels like the emotional heartbeat of the movie, pulling you in and increasing the momentum until finally the title logo fills the screen.

Possibilities of a sequel, big summer blockbuster? Highly likely but hopefully that won’t be a bad thing if what I have seen so far is anything to go by.  I have also heard rumours that Guy Gardner may appear and Nick Jones Jr. has been credited as John Stewart so we may be gearing up to see the full set of corps in the future?

Well I will let you decide – full of fear or something else?




No comments:

Post a Comment